The Bankruptcy Court strongly encourages parties to participate in mediation if they feel it might facilitate a settlement of their contested matter or adversary proceeding (AP). 

The Honorable Peter G. Cary of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maine has been designated to mediate matters for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Rhode Island. Chief Judge Cary provides mediation services to this Court and its litigants free of charge.

How to Request Mediation:  The parties should notify the Court if they are interested in participating in mediation.  In an AP, the parties can indicate their interest in mediation on the discovery plan document.   Upon court approval, an order will enter referring the matter to Chief Judge Cary, who is available to conduct the mediation without charge.  In other matters, the parties may file a motion requesting that a contested matter be referred to mediation.