• I hear the term “Link” frequently when discussing electronic filing. What does it mean?

    To "link" a document means to relate it to, or associate it with a previously filed document. During the filing process you may be asked "Does your document relate to a previously filed pleading?" If the answer is yes, you should follow the screen prompts to "link" the documents.

  • What formats are available for the delivery of e-mail notifications from the court?

    An e-filer may choose from two formats: 1) a separate notice for each filing that is sent at the time of the filing of the document, or 2) a daily summary report sent overnight. To change your preference take the following steps:

    • Click UTILITIES on the blue menu bar
    • Select the radio button that indicates your preference
  • Should I notify the court if I move to a different law firm?

    Yes, this is very important. Failure to notify the court may result in the wrong parties receiving electronic notice or service. To do so, complete the following steps:

    • Click UTILITIES on the blue menu bar
    • Change your address information
    • Click SUBMIT.
  • Is there a way I can reconcile my credit card charges in CM/ECF?

    Yes, ECF has a report that can be used to reconcile credit card charges for filing fees. On the blue menu bar in ECF, click UTILITIES >> INTERNET PAYMENT HISTORY. Enter the desired date range. The report will list all payments made electronically or conventionally by you.

  • What Should I do if I paid fees in the wrong case?

    Contact the Clerk’s office immediately and the fee can applied to the correct case once the document is re-filed in the correct case.

  • Can I get a refund if I inadvertently pay a fee?

    The Judicial Conference prohibits refunds of the fees due upon filing. The Conference prohibits the clerk from refunding these fees even if the party filed the case in error, and even if the court dismisses the case or proceeding.   See LBR 1006-1(b).

    Exception:  the clerk must refund any fee collected without authority. For example, the clerk has no authority to collect a fee to reopen a case unless the case is closed. Consequently, the clerk must refund a fee to reopen if the parties discover later that the case was open.

  • I am not receiving e-mails from the Court. What can I do to correct this?

    If you're not receiving e-mail notices from ECF, it could be due to one of the following:

    1. Your e-mail address has changed and you have not changed the address in CM/ECF.

    •Click UTILITIES on the blue menu bar
    •Click E-MAIL INFORMATION >> in the Primary e-mail address field, delete your old address and enter the new one >> click RETURN TO ACCOUNT SCREEN >> click SUBMIT

    2. Your e-mail account is full.

    3. Most internet service providers (ISPs) limit the amount of e-mail you may store on their server. Contact your ISP to determine the limit and how to delete the e-mails you no longer need.

    *NOTE: If you continue to encounter problems, please contact Jody at 401-626-3145.

  • How can I tell what version of Adobe Acrobat I’m using?

    Click the HELP pull-down menu >> click ABOUT ACROBAT

  • What should I do if I’m not sure that I’ve completed the filing of a document?

    Run your Transaction Log from CM/ECF- it's FREE. The log displays all transactions completed by you during a selected date range. If you are not certain that a transaction was successful, review the Transaction Log before you attempt to re-file a document. To run the Transaction Log go to Utilities >> View Your Transaction Log >> Enter a date range. All successful ECF transactions by date, case number and type will display.

  • Why does it sometimes take a long time to view or download a particular file on your website?

    A few of the forms and files located on our web site are somewhat large and may take a minute or two to download at slower modem speeds. Your web browser may be blank while downloading the file; please be patient.

  • Do I need photo identification?

    Effective March 1, 2009 - any person wishing to file a bankruptcy petition or adversary proceeding without an attorney (pro se), must appear in the Clerk’s office and provide photo identification, or the filer must have a power of attorney(and photo identification) authorizing them to file on behalf of another person. Please read the following notice for more information.

    Notice to Debtors Filing Bankruptcy Petition without an attorney (pro se Debtors)

  • Have You Completed Credit Counseling?

    You must complete mandatory Credit Counseling prior to filing bankruptcy. Please click on each link below for detailed information regarding pre and post filing required education.

    • Before filing your bankruptcy case - Completion of Credit Counseling

    • Within 60 days after filing - Completion of Financial Management Course

  • What your signature means

    If you are a debtor, your signature on the petition and statements and schedules constitutes an oath that the information is accurate and complete. The Bankruptcy Code provides serious penalties for false statements (see section 727(a)(4)(A). Title 18 of the United States Code (Crimes and Criminal Procedure) section 152 also makes it a crime to knowingly and fraudulently omit property, make a false oath or account, or make a false declaration or verification. If you are a creditor U.S.C. section 152 makes it a crime to knowingly and fraudulently present a false claim.

  • Are You a Duplicate Filer?

    If you have previously filed for bankruptcy, you may not be eligible to receive a discharge in your new case. Click here to view a chart to help you determine whether or not you are eligible to receive a discharge when you file your next bankruptcy case. If you file before sufficient time has passed since your previous filing, the Court will issue a Notice of Ineligibility to Receive Discharge or an Order to Show Cause why your case should not be dismissed.

  • Was Your Previous Bankruptcy Case Dismissed?

    In all bankruptcy cases, certain schedules and statements are required to be filed. Pursuant to Fed.R.Bankr.P.1007, 1008, 2016 and 3015(b), R.I. LBR 1002-1, 1007-1 and 5005-4, the debtor shall file such missing documents according to the time limits imposed by federal or local rule.

    If all documents are not contained in the initial filing, a 7-day Notice of Missing Documents and/or a Notice of Missing Documents (14 days) will be issued setting deadlines for filing required documents. If cause exists, you can move for an order extending the time to file required documents by filing a Motion to Extend Time explaining why more time is needed.

    If you fail to file required documents by the deadlines set by the Court, the case will be automatically dismissed without further notice. Such a dismissal will be presumed to be a willful failure and there will be a 180-day bar to refiling.