• Who do I contact if I’m having trouble logging in to ECF or with E-filing problems?

    Please contact our help desk at (401) 626-3100, or by e-mail at: or our newest option Live Online Support – Live!Zilla Chat which may be accessed from any page of our website:

  • How do I change my ECF password?

    To change your password, click on the Utilities tab in ECF and then the “Change Your Password” link (passwords must be at least 8 digits and include at least one number or special character and at least one capital letter).  Please contact the court if you experience any problems.

  • How do I pay an installment payment online?

    Use the filing event “Chapter 7 (or Chapter 13) Installment payment" in the ‘Other’ category. NOTE: Please query the case for filing fee amount. (Query->filing fee)

  • Should an E-filer notify the court if their mailing or e-mail address changes?

    If your mailing or e-mail address changes, update your User Account in ECF immediately.  This is very important in order to not miss receiving document filings and court notices.  If you experience any problems, please contact the court for assistance.

  • What does it mean to clear cache and cookies?

    Temporary files are stored in your computer's cache (or temporary data storage).   When the amount or aggregate size of these files become too large, you may encounter a blank CM/ECF screen, or more frequently some menu items or categories may not display correctly or refresh. To resolve this problem, clear your browser's cache

  • Clearing cache if using Internet Explorer:

    Click the TOOLS icon on the toolbar


    Click the GENERAL tab

    Click DELETE in the Browsing History section

    Click DELETE (‘About deleting browsing history’)

    Click OK (This may take a few minutes!) 

  • Clearing cache if using Firefox:

    Click the TOOLS icon on the toolbar

    Choose Clear Recent History (make sure Cookies and Cache) AND Clear Now (may take a few minutes!)

  • Why do the Bankruptcy or Adversary Menu Categories not display in the top blue menu bar in ECF?

    If the Bankruptcy and Adversary menu categories do not display on the top blue ECF menu bar, then you are logged into the PACER system and not in ECF.   Log out of PACER and log back into ECF using your ECF login and password. If the categories are still missing, try clearing the browser cache. Also, check to be sure you are using your ECF login/password NOT your PACER login and password.

  • What is the proper way to electronically sign a document?

    The required method for electronically signing a document is to type /s/ YOUR NAME on the signature line, such as /s/ John Doe.   See LBR 5005-4(b)(2)(C)(ii).

  • How can I find out information about a case?

    There are several ways to obtain case information:

    PACER (“Public Access to Court Electronic Records”) ELECTRONIC ACCESS:  If you have a PACER login and password, you can look up your case in the court’s electronic filing system using your PACER login.

    To utilize PACER you must first register with the PACER Service Center. For more information please contact the PACER Service Center at:

    PACER Service Center
    P.O. Box 780549
    San Antonio, TX 78278-0549
    Telephone: (800) 676-6856
    Web site:

    PACER access provides complete docket information and images of filed documents for a cost of .10¢ per page.  If document access fees do not exceed $15.00 a quarter, no billing occurs.

    1. COURTHOUSE ACCESS - Public computers are available in each Clerk's office to view or print imaged documents, docket reports or forms. The fee for printing from a public terminal is 10¢ per page. The Clerk’s office accepts cash or credit card for printing fees. Older paper case files may also be reviewed unless they have been transferred to the Federal Records Center.  It is best to call in advance to determine if an older file is still at the Clerk’s office or has been transferred.
    2. TELEPHONE ACCESS - Our Multi-Court Voice Case Information System (MCVCIS) allows callers free access to limited case information by phone (e.g. name of debtor, case number, judge, date filed, chapter, attorney, trustee, whether there are assets, and case status - such as discharge date and closed date) 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from any touch tone telephone. The MCVCIS toll free phone number is: (866)-222-8029.
  • What do I do if the ECF system is not available?

    If electronic filing cannot be accomplished because of an ECF or filer system failure, the Electronic Filer shall, after making at least two attempts to file electronically, send the document and/or event as an attachment in PDF format via e-mail to the following address: explaining why it was not possible to file directly in the CM/ECF System. The Electronic Filer must call the Clerk’s office at (401) 626-3100 prior to 10:00 a.m. of the next business day and advise that a document was filed via e-mail. The Clerk’s office will download and file the PDF document, which will be deemed filed on the date and time of the e-mail transmittal.

  • How do I determine the location of an event in ECF?

    Use the “Search” feature located on the blue CMECF toolbar to find the category(s) in which the event you need is located.

  • What is a Filing Agent?

    For some attorneys, it is helpful or necessary to have one or more support staff assist in the electronic filing process.  A new user type, called “Filing Agent” has been created to identify an agent who files on behalf of someone else. An attorney or trustee can link to several filing agents, so that when an agent files on behalf of the attorney, the docket text and the Notice of Electronic Filing (NEF) shows the attorney name. Once enabled by the court, multiple filing agents may be associated to users in the attorney, trustee and US Trustee user groups; these are the only user groups that may associate with filing agents.

    For detailed information re Filing Agents, click here

  • I hear the term “Link” frequently when discussing electronic filing. What does it mean?

    To "link" a document means to relate it to, or associate it with a previously filed document. During the filing process you may be asked "Does your document relate to a previously filed pleading?" If the answer is yes, you should follow the screen prompts to "link" the documents.

  • What formats are available for the delivery of e-mail notifications from the court?

    An e-filer may choose from two formats: 1) a separate notice for each filing that is sent at the time of the filing of the document, or 2) a daily summary report sent overnight. To change your preference take the following steps:

    • Click UTILITIES on the blue menu bar
    • Select the radio button that indicates your preference