Chapter 7

All Forms May Be Obtained From The Website Unless Otherwise Indicated

If you are unable to complete all forms at the time of filing, see “Filing a Skeletal or Bare Bone Petition” section for detailed instructions. Click here for a Chapter 7 checklist of required forms and schedules. Always ensure you have the most recently updated forms as some forms are required to be updated annually. The last revision date of the form will be at the top of the form (i.e. 10/06).

The items listed below are REQUIRED.

Creditor List on Disk or CD

A creditor list is a list of all creditors with addresses saved to a floppy disk or CD. Click here for instructions for completing the creditor list on disk or CD. If you do not have access to a typewriter/computer at your home or library, you may come to the Clerk’s office and use a computer in the public area where instructions and floppy disks are available for your use.

Statement of Completion of Credit Counseling

Click here for a list of approved credit counseling agencies. Credit Counseling is required to be completed with an approved agency before the filing for bankruptcy. Counseling may be done by in person, by telephone or via the internet. A form will be provided by the agency upon completion of the counseling service. This form is required at the time of filing.

Failure to file the form at this time will result in the Court issuing an Order re: Missing documents and setting a seven-day deadline for you to comply with this requirement.

Failure to file the certificate, Certificate of Exigent Circumstances, or Motion for Exemption within seven days may result in dismissal of your bankruptcy. The dismissal shall be presumed to be a willful failure, and you will be barred from refiling a bankruptcy case for a period of 180 days. (See Local Rule 1007 (b)(4).)

Form B-21 Statement of Social Security Number

This is the only form on which your entire social security number will appear. It will not become a public document.

Pay Stubs (Payment Advices) for the previous 60 days of employment

These may consist of pay stubs; social security statements, or an affidavit signed by you under the penalty of perjury that no income was received.

Important: redact (cross out) all but the last four digits of your Social Security Number or financial account number(s) that may appear on payment advices before filing them with the Court!

The Federal Center
380 Westminster Street
Providence, RI 02903

Additional Required Forms for Chapter 7

The Court’s list of forms will always contain the most recent updated forms and these may be downloaded from this website or printed and purchased at the Clerk’s office. Click here for a complete packet of Chapter 7 forms.

Form B1- First 3 pages of petition with signatures
Exhibit D Statement of Compliance with Credit Counseling Requirement
Summary of Schedules and Statistical Summary (2 pages)
Schedules A,B,C,D,E,F,I,J
Declaration re Schedules with signature
Statement of Financial Affairs with signature
Statement of Intention
Form B22A Statement of Monthly Income and Means Test Calculation
Certificate of Pro Se Debtor (listing name of any document preparer or individual who helped in the preparation of the petition/schedules, and any payment made for this help)

Debtor Education Certificate Form B23

You are required to complete a debtor education course with an approved agency (click here for a list of approved agencies). The course may be taken in person, by telephone or via the internet. After completion, Form B23 must be filed with the court within 60 days of the First Meeting of Creditors. Failure to file the certificate may result in your bankruptcy case being closed without entry of a discharge order.

Income Tax records for the most recent tax year

A transcript of the tax return, or a written statement that documentation does not exist, are required to be given directly to the Chapter 7 Trustee seven (7) days prior to the Section 341 meeting. You will find your Trustee’s name, address and telephone number on the first meeting, Section 341 notice.

Do not file tax information with the Court unless otherwise directed.

A creditor may request a copy of your federal tax return for the most recent year in which a return was filed. The creditor must make his request to you at least fifteen (15) days prior to the First Meeting of Creditors and you must provide the creditor with a copy, transcript of return, or a written statement that the return does not exist no later than fifteen (15) days prior to the meeting. Failure to provide this information upon request, may result in the filing of a Motion to Dismiss the case by the creditor, or a Motion to Delay the Entry of Discharge.

Important Privacy Information - If a Motion requiring you to file tax information is filed in your case and granted by the Court, it is your responsibility to redact (cross out) all but the last four digits of your social security number and account numbers, as well as the names of any minor children to protect your privacy! Failure to provide this tax information may result in dismissal of your case or a delay in the entry of the discharge.

Sequence of Events for a Chapter 7 Case

In a straight-forward case, the debtor may expect the following to occur:

Filing of the Petition and other required documents

Appointment of a Chapter 7 Trustee (who represents the estate and interest of the creditors)

Scheduling of a Section 341 First Meeting of Creditors. Attendance at this meeting is mandatory and the meeting may be concluded or continued, depending on the Trustee’s evaluation of the case. Any issue regarding attendance at this meeting must be discussed with your Case Trustee, not the Bankruptcy Court.

Filing of Debtor Education Certificate (Form 23).

Entry of Discharge.

Closing of the Case.

The minimum time to complete the process described above is ninety (90) days.

Bankruptcy cases where other issues arise will take longer to process. For example, the Trustee may request that schedules (particularly B and C) be amended after the first meeting, or s/he may object to the claim of exemptions by the debtor. A creditor may file an Adversary Proceeding objecting to the discharge of a particular debt, or the Trustee or US Trustee may file an objection to the entire discharge. The Clerk’s office cannot give legal advice; advice of an attorney is suggested to handle such matters.

If a trustee determines that assets beyond what a debtor is allowed to keep exist in your bankruptcy, the assets may be sold and the proceeds distributed to creditors. Creditors will be instructed to file a proof of claim form and the trustee will make payments to creditors whose claims have been allowed.